Unsurprisingly, home workouts have emerged as one of the biggest fitness trends of the year. But what may surprise you is the fact that all things home fitness were already on the rise even before they became a necessity due to the global pandemic. In addition to staying safe from germs and spreading them ourselves, keeping our exercise routines at home translates to money spared and time saved. When there’s no gym membership, no commute and no feelings of shame or embarrassment, we’re all a lot more likely to crush our fitness goals!
If you’re new to the stay-home sweat lifestyle, here are a few of our most essential pieces of home fitness gear to keep you on a solid regimen so you hit all your personal goals without leaving home.
- CBD Products — We all know that CBD can help us get a good night’s rest and contribute to feelings of calm, but did you know it can also boost muscle recovery? Incorporate a CBD tincture into your routine to make the most out of your rest days and get a good night’s sleep so you feel super motivated.
- A Resistance Band — Resistance bands are must-haves for home workouts because they help you build strength and stretch without taking up a ton of space. There are so many things you can do with a resistance band, from bulking up to working out tension or tightness in certain muscles and joints.
- A Jump Rope — Consider the jump rope the O.G. home workout essential. With this small, compact and affordable accessory, you can seriously crush your cardio goals. Bonus points for the fact that jumping rope is super fun.
Dumbbells or Medicine Balls — If you like to keep your workout regimen on the classic end, don’t complicate things. A good set of dumbbells or a medicine ball and a weight bench will provide you with tons of unique weight training options and will allow you to master whole-body weight training without taking up a ton of space.
- Good Running Shoes — We know it can be tempting to skip the shoes altogether if you’re working out at home, but this is not good for your feet, legs and back. Unless you’re practicing yoga or doing basic stretches, suit up for your workout just like you would if you were going to the gym.
- A Fitness Tracker — Fitness trackers, such as fitness watches and bracelets, are some of the easiest ways to help you stay on course and follow your progress without even thinking about it. They can aggregate and analyze all sorts of data, from heart rate to daily steps to calories burned to sleep habits.
- Curtains — Before you do anything, you want to create a space that feels totally comfortable, safe and inviting. Choose a space in your home and dedicate it exclusively to working out. If your home has a lot of windows, installing curtains can provide you with privacy and more light control so you can create the exact exercise environment that will keep you motivated.
- A Quality Speaker or Wireless Headphones — It’s no secret that an extra-hyped playlist can do wonders for the vibe. Make sure your sound system is on-point — whether it be with a quality Bluetooth speaker or a good pair of headphones that won’t get in your way — so you can crank it all the way up.
- A High-Def Screen — You’d be surprised how far some definition will go. Upgrade from your tiny phone screen to a bigger, better and more immersive experience. Use a smart TV so you can access workouts on YouTube and fitness apps so you can shake it up from session to session.
- A Yoga Mat — Yoga mats are not just for yoga practitioners! Every form of exercise needs a solid foundation, and we all know the hardwood floor or carpeting doesn’t always make the best one. Invest in a quality yoga mat you can stand on while you do cardio, lift weights and stretch.
- A Mirror — No, installing a mirror in your workout space is not about vanity (but that’s a fine reason, too). In fact, being able to see your reflection is important to helping you perfect your technique and ensure that you’re doing things the right way. This is especially important for those switching from a gym, class setting or personal trainer to working out on their own.
- An Essential Oil Diffuser — If you’re used to exercising in a pleasant environment — say, a spa-inspired yoga studio or boutique gym — then try to bring this vibe to your home gym, too. One of the simplest ways you can achieve this is by using an essential oil diffuser to fill the air with enjoyable scents. Stick to energizing aromas — citrus, peppermint, eucalyptus, rosemary — and leave the more calming scents for the bedroom and living room.
Fruit-Infused Water — When we work out, our body sweats out our hydration reserves, which is why we often feel dehydrated post-facto. No matter where you exercise, it’s important to keep the H2O flowing to ensure that the joints are properly lubricated and your body temperature remains stable. Throwing some fruit in there ensures that you want to consistently reach for your water bottle.
- A Subscription to a Workout Service — Want to take your routine up a few notches or try something new? Consider signing up for a subscription to an exercise service. These programs usually offer unlimited access to classes, coaches and more to keep you on track and excited about your goals.
- Access to Some Outdoor Space — It’s so easy to get stuck in a workout rut. If possible, have both an indoor and outdoor workout space so you can get some fresh air and sunshine while you’re sweating it out.
Take The Time To Create A Space You Enjoy
One of the simplest ways to boost results when working out from home is to create a comfortable, enjoyable environment you actually want to use. Consider the décor, equipment and accessories an investment into the self. It will be the single most rewarding investment you make in your entire life!